PE and Sport Premium For Primary Schools
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing an additional £320 million to schools per annum to improve provision of Physical Education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding, provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, will be allocated to primary school head teachers.
Purpose of Funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
All children should have the opportunity to live healthy and active lives. Physical activity has many physical benefits, whilst also improving mental wellbeing. Children who participate in regular exercise are happy, confident and resilient. The PE and Sports Premium can help schools make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of Physical Education (PE) and sport that they offer. It will be used to secure improvements in the following 5 key indicators:
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity.
- Profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Click below to read our Sports Premium strategy and find out how the £16,500 of funding will be spend.
Sport Premium Strategy 2018-2019
Sport Premium Strategy 2022-2023